A suspect has been arrested after armed police were scrambled to the scene of a man claiming to be in possession an explosive device.
Police were called at around 12.45pm on Thursday to a report expressing concern for the welfare of a man on Birch Lane in Dukinfield, Greater Manchester.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said they have arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of making a malicious communication.
A cordon on Birch Lane has now been lifted after bomb disposal officers declared the device non-viable.
A hairdresser whose business is situated within the cordon told Manchester Evening News they had been advised ‘to lock the door’ and ‘are not allowed to go out’.
They added: ‘I think they are searching the area. They have stopped cars coming down the road.
‘Police have been to us and told us to lock the door and move away from the window.’
A GMP spokesman said: ‘At around 12.45pm today officers were called to reports of concern for the welfare of man claiming to possess an explosive device at a property on Birch Lane, Dukinfield.
‘Bomb disposal officers attended the scene and have now declared the device non-viable.
‘A 31-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of malicious communications. He remains in police custody for questioning.
‘A cordon was in place but it has now been lifted.’