Welcome to Kehinde Popoola's website

Greedy pug leaves owner with £6,000 vet bill after eating kebab stick

A greedy little pug well and truly skewered himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick.

Monty’s owners have dubbed it the ‘most expensive kebab ever’ after being forced to pay £6,000 to remove it.

The stick had pierced his diaphragm and lungs and owner Sharon Perry, 61, only noticed when he couldn’t bend, sit down and was even falling asleep standing up.

Monty the Pug next to the eight inch kebab stick he swallowed.See SWNS story SWSYpug.A hungry pug managed to skewer himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick WHOLE. Eight-year-old Monty was left with 20 stitches after gobbling down the wooden stick when his owner?s back was turned during an evening walk last month. Owner Sharon Vanderhook, 61, has now dubbed him ?the most expensive kebab ever? after she was forced to shell out ?6,000 on an emergency operation after Monty pierced his diaphragm and lungs with the sharp skewer.

Monty the Pug next to the eight-inch kebab stick (Picture: Sharon Vanderhook/SWNS)

Monty the Pug before his surgery. Monty swallowed an eight inch kebab stick whole.See SWNS story SWSYpug.A hungry pug managed to skewer himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick WHOLE. Eight-year-old Monty was left with 20 stitches after gobbling down the wooden stick when his owner?s back was turned during an evening walk last month. Owner Sharon Vanderhook, 61, has now dubbed him ?the most expensive kebab ever? after she was forced to shell out ?6,000 on an emergency operation after Monty pierced his diaphragm and lungs with the sharp skewer.

The vet bill to remove the stick from Monty cost £6,000. Ouch (Picture: Sharon Vanderhook/SWNS)

Sharon, from Bexleyheath, Kent, said: ‘Talk about the most expensive kebab ever. He must have gobbled it when my back was turn on a walk.

‘How he managed to swallow it whole I just don’t know. I knew something was wrong when he wasn’t eating.

‘He’s usually a gannet, a real greedy pug. That evening I was putting my feet up to watch the TV and he wouldn’t sit down.

‘I went over to him to try and make his bum sit to the floor but he wasn’t having it.

The CT scan showing the eight inch kebab stick inisde Monty the Pug's stomach.See SWNS story SWSYpug.A hungry pug managed to skewer himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick WHOLE. Eight-year-old Monty was left with 20 stitches after gobbling down the wooden stick when his owner?s back was turned during an evening walk last month. Owner Sharon Vanderhook, 61, has now dubbed him ?the most expensive kebab ever? after she was forced to shell out ?6,000 on an emergency operation after Monty pierced his diaphragm and lungs with the sharp skewer.

The eight-inch kebab stick pierced his diaphragm and lungs (Picture: Sharon Vanderhook/SWNS)

‘I was saying “sit, sit!” and I just thought he was in a strop ignoring me.

‘Then he started falling asleep standing up which wasn’t like him.

‘I told my husband Monty was being a bit off so we decided to take him round the vets the next morning.

‘It was only when he had the CT scan that it showed up as the other tests didn’t show wood.

Monty the Pug with a bandage on his arm from the blood test after he became ill.See SWNS story SWSYpug.A hungry pug managed to skewer himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick WHOLE. Eight-year-old Monty was left with 20 stitches after gobbling down the wooden stick when his owner?s back was turned during an evening walk last month. Owner Sharon Vanderhook, 61, has now dubbed him ?the most expensive kebab ever? after she was forced to shell out ?6,000 on an emergency operation after Monty pierced his diaphragm and lungs with the sharp skewer.

Monty will need some TLC after that ordeal (Picture: Sharon Vanderhook/SWNS)

Monty the Pug in the arms of his owner Sharon Vanderhook,61.See SWNS story SWSYpug.A hungry pug managed to skewer himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick WHOLE. Eight-year-old Monty was left with 20 stitches after gobbling down the wooden stick when his owner?s back was turned during an evening walk last month. Owner Sharon Vanderhook, 61, has now dubbed him ?the most expensive kebab ever? after she was forced to shell out ?6,000 on an emergency operation after Monty pierced his diaphragm and lungs with the sharp skewer.

Poor Monty has been through the mill (Picture: Sharon Vanderhook/SWNS)

The kebab stick that Monty the pug skewered himself on- after swallowing it whole.See SWNS story SWSYpug.A hungry pug managed to skewer himself after swallowing an eight-inch kebab stick WHOLE. Eight-year-old Monty was left with 20 stitches after gobbling down the wooden stick when his owner?s back was turned during an evening walk last month. Owner Sharon Vanderhook, 61, has now dubbed him ?the most expensive kebab ever? after she was forced to shell out ?6,000 on an emergency operation after Monty pierced his diaphragm and lungs with the sharp skewer.

That’s one very expensive kebab stick (Picture: Sharon Vanderhook/SWNS)

‘When the vet told me they had to keep him in because there was a kebab stick inside of him I was just in plain shock.

‘I had a phone call that evening saying the operation had happened but “it was still touch and go”. That was me gone.

‘I was absolutely hysterical. I was on the floor crying and whaling. I thought I was going to lose my baby.

‘But he made it through.’

Mum-of-three Sharon thinks he ate it when her back was turned during an evening walk.

Monty was left with 20 stitches after a two-hour operation at North Downs Specialist Referrals in Redhill, Surrey, and was made to stay at the vets for another three days.

‘I stupidly didn’t have insurance but it wouldn’t have covered him anyway because they would say he inflicted it on himself,’ Sharon said.

‘There’s no way the insurance will touch him now with his track record.

‘The staff were superb. I can’t thank them enough for saving his life.’



Got a story for Metro.co.uk?

If you have a story for our news team, email us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Have something to add? Share it in the comments.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *