A parrot that got stranded on a roof told a crew of firefighters to ‘f**k off’ despite the fact they were attempting to rescue it.
Jessie, a turqoise and yellow Macaw parrot, spent three days stuck on the roof of a house in Edmonton, north London, and it clearly affected her mood.
When firefighters from the London Fire Bridage (LFB) came to the rescue the bird began shouting abusive expletives at them.
She became stranded after escaping from her home nearby and the RSPCA were forced to call in the emergency services when neither its officers nor Jessie’s owners were able to coax her down.
LFB watch manager Chris Swallow, who attended the scene, said: ‘Jessie had been on the same roof for three days and there were concerns that she may be injured which is why she hadn’t come down.’
A volunteer member of the fire crew went up to the roof on a ladder carring a bowl of food and a fluffy white towel.
He was even given instructions from the bird’s owners to say ‘I love you’ in a bid to encourage her to co-operate.
But it seems the affection had the opposite affect on Jessie, who simply told the fire fighters to ‘fuck off’.
Mr Swallow, from the Green Watch team at Edmonton fire station said: ‘We then discovered that she had a bit of a foul mouth and kept swearing, much to our amusement.’
Jessie and her unnamed owner also speak Turkish and Greek, so the crew also tried ‘telling her to “come” in both those languages’.
But after she was finished hurling expletives it became clear Jessie wasn’t injured after all – she simply flew off onto another roof, a tree and then towards her owner.
The LFB has repeatedly called on members of the public not to dial 999 when a pet becomes trapped, following a huge increase in the number of call outs.
It said it officers have previously been called to rescue an iguana from a roof, a kitten wedged in a bongo drum and a chimp trapped in a chimney.
The fire brigade has asked members of the public to only call emergency services to deal with trapped animals if the RSPCA has been unable to help.
A spokesperson said: ‘As with this incident, the RSPCA should be contacted in the first instance and we would always urge people to do the same if they see an animal stuck or in distress.
‘If the RSPCA require our assistance, they will call us and we are happy to assist with our specialist equipment.’