Welcome to Kehinde Popoola's website

Britain’s worst rapist could have 30-year sentence extended

Sinaga

Reynhard Sinaga was jailed for life with a minimum term of 30 years earlier this month (Picture: SWNS)

Britain’s most prolific rapist could die behind bars after his three decades-long jail term was referred to the Attorney General as unduly lenient.

Indonesian student Reynhard Sinaga, 36, was jailed for life earlier this month with a minimum term of 30 years after drugging 48 men and filming himself sexually violating them in his Manchester city centre apartment.

The ‘perpetual student’, studying for a PhD in Manchester thanks to his wealthy family, picked up drunk and vulnerable men by posing as a ‘Good Samaritan’.

The Attorney General’s Office said yesterday that it had received a referral letter under the Unduly Lenient Sentences scheme concerning Sinaga, with the the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) confirming that its North West office had written in regarding the sentencing.

A spokesman said: ‘The case of Reynhard Sinaga is unprecedented in CPS history and we took a range of factors into account when bringing each trial to court.

**EMBARGOED UNTIL 2PM GMT / JAN 12, 2020** Reynhard Sinaga, 36, who has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 30 years for committing 159 offences, including 136 rapes. A man who was lured to Reynhard Sinaga's flat has told how he escaped unscathed when he got suspicious -- because the prolific rapist seemed too sober for 4am. See SWNS story SWTPreynhard. Michael Crompton, 26, was on a night out on Manchester when he lost his friends and went into a takeaway shop to ask to use a phone charger at 4am. When the shop staff told him they didn't have one, Michael was approached by Reynhard Sinaga, who said they could go to his flat five minutes away to use a charger. But Michael said he became suspicious because "he seemed really sober for a guy in a takeaway at 4am" - so he turned down TWO drinks. Police now think Sinaga - the world's most prolific rapist - was drugging his victims by spiking their drinks with GBH. Sinaga has been jailed for life for committing 159 offences against 48 men - but 195 victims in total were counted by police in videos Sinaga took himself. Michael, a lighting technician from Whitefield, Manchester, said he feels lucky to have escaped.

Sinaga, 36, is believed to have abused as many as 195 males (Picture: SWNS)

Reynhard Sinaga, 36, who has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 30 years for committing 159 offences, including 136 rapes, appearing in the dock at Manchester Crown Court. January 6 2019.

The CPS are appealing for a longer sentence through the Court of Appeal (Picture: SWNS)

‘A key consideration was the likely impact on sentence of bringing further prosecutions and we are confident we did everything we could to ensure the court had adequate sentencing powers to see justice done in this case.’

Lawyers at the Attorney General’s Office now have 28 days from the date of Sinaga’s sentencing, on January 6, to decide whether to challenge his sentence via the Court of Appeal.

Passing sentence at Manchester Crown Court, Judge Suzanne Goddard QC said a whole-life order had never been made before in a case other than one involving murder but despite the ‘vast scale’ of offending making Sinaga’s a borderline case she would ‘shrink back’ from passing a whole-life order.

However, she added: ‘In my judgment you are a highly dangerous, cunning and deceitful individual who will never be safe to be released, but that is a matter for the Parole Board.’

Richard Littler QC, defending Sinaga, submitted that the legal authorities did not support the passing of a whole-life sentence in the defendant’s case.

He said the Court of Appeal has never imposed a whole-life order for a discretionary life sentence and, to date, whole-life terms had not been passed in non-homicide cases.

Mr Littler said: ‘This could be accurately described as an evil crime but in fact it cannot accurately be described as a violent crime.’

Sinaga’s father has previously said his son’s punishment ‘fits his crimes’, while his mother has struggled to believe her ‘baby’ was capable of them.

Police established during their investigations that 195 different males appear to have been unconscious while Sinaga assaulted them, but 70 of them remained unidentified.

After reporting restrictions were lifted and Sinaga was publicly identified following the conclusion of his fourth trial for sex crimes, Greater Manchester Police set up a dedicated incident room and said it had seen a ‘very positive response’ with multiple calls made.

Reynhard Sinaga

The judge described Sinaga, seen here on CCTV, as ‘a highly dangerous, cunning and deceitful individual’ (Picture: Greater Manchester Police)

Undated handout photo issued by Greater Manchester Police of the bedroom floor, where dozens of rapes took place, in the home of Reynhard Sinaga, who has been jailed at Manchester Crown Court for life and must serve a minimum of 30 years after he was convicted of offences against 48 men. PA Photo. Issue date: Monday January 6, 2020. Sinaga, who was convicted on 159 sexual offences including 136 counts of rape in Manchester between January 2015 and May 2017, drugged 48 men and filmed himself sexually violating them while they were unconscious in his city centre apartment. See PA story COURTS Sinaga. Photo credit should read: Greater Manchester Police/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used in for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

The bedroom floor where dozens of rapes took place (Picture: PA)

It is thought Sinaga laced his victims’ drinks with a drug such as GHB, also known as liquid ecstasy.

The rapist was caught when one of the men regained consciousness and fought him off before he went to the police and, crucially, handed in Sinaga’s phone.

He was found guilty of a total of 159 offences committed between January 2015 and May 2017 – 136 counts of rape, 13 counts of sexual assault, eight counts of attempted rape and two counts of assault by penetration.

For anyone who wishes to seek support but does not want to talk to police, St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre can be reached on 0161 276 6515 and Survivors Manchester can be contacted on 0161 236 2182.

The National Male Survivors Helpline can be contacted on 0808 800 5005.



Got a story for Metro.co.uk?

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk. For more stories like this, check our news page.

Have something to add? Share it in the comments.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *